Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Bible Changes Lives

We say the Word of God is inspired by God, and the inspired Word of God changes lives. But I'm curious. Specifically, can you think of a personal example where the Word of God changed your life? The more I thought about it, the more verses came to mind.

I think of 1 Corinthians 2:14 that describes how "spiritual things are spiritually discerned". Having grown up in a Christian home, my father as a pastor, I knew a lot of Bible stuff. But I really didn't understand the Christian life, nor did I know God.

Yet when I heard this verse at age 18, a light dawned on me. I could not understand spiritual things until I was spiritually reborn. I was a spiritual skeleton without muscle or tissue or life.

I also recall Isaiah 41:10, which was such a strength to me while serving on a 10-month missions trip to the Philippines -- "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

I often leaned upon God and felt God's hand upholding me during that season of my life.

A third verse that has been especially life transformative is Psalm 27:8, "My heart says of you, 'Seek his face!' Your face, Lord, I will seek."

I hear that verse often echoing deep down into me. And I respond with full face upward to God.

Yes, the Bible has saved me, guided me, changed me. And I'm curious about you. What specific verse from the Scriptures has changed you? Tell me about it. I'm interested.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Pastor David. I'm glad you've started this blog and that I had the opportunity to worship with you at Rose Hill this morning. RE the question of this post, I'd say that the Bible changes me EVERY day. Bible reading is just something I do, it's part of who I am. If anybody would like to join me in being changed and challenged every day, go to http://www.usefulbreath.com.

    "All scripture is god-breathed and is USEFUL for teaching, rebuke, correction, and training in righteousness so that God's people might be thoroughly equipped for every good work" (2 Tim. 3:16-17).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Professor David!
    What a wonderful idea this is!
    Oh yes, the Word of God is living and active and when I was nearing the summit of salvation, on the way up, precisely the last 6 months of the climb, everytime a Christian would share the Word with me, it never left me! I didn't understand it spiritually speaking, but at unexpected times the Spirt of God would bring it up to my attention. After I arrived at the 'Summit of Repentance and Faith' and started growing up in Christ. Isaiah 55:11 and Joel 2:25 became Ebenezers in my daily walk. That was almost 18 years ago! I am sooooooo grateful to our God and King, Jesus Christ!
    Your thankful student, Catherine Nichols-Taylor
    Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Psalm 119:11 reads, "I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you." It is a scripture that I quoted to my former youth all the time. It is a scripture that a former Sunday School teacher quoted to me as a child and one that keeps me in check daily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dave,
    One of the verses of God's Word which has been life-changing for me is John 15:16. When I was 19 yrs. old and only 6 months old in my journey with Christ, He called me to be a missionary through this verse as well as through my prayers for the 2 or 3 missionaries I knew then. (by whispering to me that He wanted me to go and bear fruit as a missionary - like those I prayed for.) I had read this verse at least 4 or 5 times before that when I did a Bible study with the friend who led me to know Jesus. But then one of those missionaries I prayed for sent me a letter and she ended it with John 15:16 - and it seemed like Jesus was speaking directly to me: John 15:16 (KJV)
    16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.
    At that time, I knew for sure that to "bring forth fruit" meant to bring others to know Jesus. Over the years, I have come to think that "to bring forth fruit" also means to allow the Holy Spirit's fruit of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control to grow in our lives. That's a big order, and I am still cooperating with the Spirit on this, and expect to be doing that all my life.
    But, JUST YESTERDAY, the Lord pointed out something new to me in John 15:16. I guess I hadn't paid much attention to that important word "go" in the verse. That kind of indicates that "bringing forth fruit" is something that happens through deliberate action; it's not a passive thing.
    I'm so glad you sent me an e-mail notice that you have a blog. I am so glad to be able to read these thoughts about the Lord and how we worship and serve Him. May he bless you real good as you do that.
    Lorrie Farnsworth

    ReplyDelete